When it comes to sharing Odia delicacies how can i forget to share Dalma on the blog. so dalma or vegetables and lentil stew is not only tasty but also a nutritious dish. And together with cooked rice or chapati is the perfect example of a perfect meal. In Odisha one can find varieties of dalma because every odia kitchen has their version of dalma. But wait ,what makes a dalma so delicious ? The answer lies in it’s spices. Yes we make a fresh batch of spice mixture whenever we cook dalma which gives the dalma, it’s taste and flavor . And today i am going to share my version of dalma where i will share my dalma spice mixture. I hope you will enjoy cooking the dish and don’t forget to share the experience with me.
Dalma | lentils and vegetables stewCourse: MainCuisine: odia, Indian
1/2 of raw papaya
1 aubergine or baingan
2 raw banana
4-5 big pieces of pumpkin
1 inch of crushed ginger
1/2 cup of toor dal or piegon pea
1/4th cup of yellow mung dal or split mung beans
600-650ml water or 2-2.5 glasses of water
1 tsp turmeric
salt as per taste
- Ingredients for tempering
2 tbsp of oil or ghee
2 tsp of panchphoran or five spice mixture
2 bay leaf
3-4 red dried chilies
- Dalma masala
2 tsp of cumin seeds
8-10 black pepper corns
1 green cardamom
2 cloves or laung
2 red dried chilies
- Clean and cut the veggies into large pieces.
- Dry roast the split mung beans for 5-6 min until it become light brown.
- Clean the toor dal and roasted mung dal in water and soak them in water about 5 min.
- Heat water in a pressure cooker and add turmeric , salt, vegetables , tomato and crushed ginger. Cook it for 1-2 whistle on medium flame. and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the spices mentioned above for dalma masala . Roast it for 4-5 min in medium flame . and make a dry powder out of it. Dalma masala is ready.
- Heat oil or ghee in a kadhai add all the ingredients for tempering mentioned above. Let it splutter then add the cooked tomato we have added in the pressure cooker. Mash it for a minute then add the cooked dal and vegetables mixture.
- Add 2-3 tsp of dalma masala into the lentil stew and bring it into a boil. and it’s ready.
- If you want to add crushed garlic into the tempering you can also do that.