Pulao or Pilaf is rice based dish which is mostly consumed in middle east, central and south Asia . From the very beginning of my life i was a fan of pulao , biryanis because i hail from a place where rice is the staple food. so it’s obvious that there is always an inclination towards rice based dish , and trying different different flavors with rice is what i really enjoy. I used to make biryani once in a week , but what if you can’t have biryani in those days . And that craving is there, in those days i prefer pulao . because it’s an one pot dish , has a lot of veggies, also sometimes i add soya badi too, that means it’s quite a healthy dish and the best part is it’s easy to make . usually i paired it with a cucumber rayeta and believe me you can eat a plate full of pulao with a bowl of rayeta only. today i am going to share the recipe of vegetable pulao , i hope you will make it whenever you feel to have an one pot dish in your meal.
Usually Pualo is made from basmati rice but here i have taken masoori rice which is mostly cultivated in southern India . You can make it from basmati or any other rice but don’t use par boiled rice.
3 cups of Masoori rice
1 cup of soaked soya badi in warm water
- Whole spices
1 bay leaf
2 tsp of cumin seeds
1 small stick of cinnamon
1 javetri or mace flower
1 big onion sliced
Half diced tomato
2 tbsp of ginger garlic green chili paste
2 cups of well beaten curd
1 tbsp of ghee
2 tbsp of veg oil
- Vegetables for Pulao
1 cup diced potato
1 cup small cauliflower florets
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup chopped green beans
1/4 th cup diced beetroot
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- spice mixture
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp of chilly powder
1 tsp of garam masala
1 tsp of coriander powder
Salt as per taste
Chopped coriander and mint leaves for garnishing.
2 glasses of water
- First of all soak the rice in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pressure cooker . add all the whole spices mentioned above.
- Let it splutter , add onion and tomato. saute it for 3-4 minutes or until onion becomes golden in color. .
- Now add all veggies and cook it for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Give it a mix and add ginger garlic paste . Again mix it well.
- When the smell of ginger garlic goes away add the powder spices mentioned above.
- Now on low medium flame add curd and stir it for 2 minutes.
- Add soaked rice and gently mix all the veggies and rice.
- Add 2 glasses of water or rice should be fully cover in water. Adding water in pulao is the trickiest part , so you have to do it carefully.
- Sprinkle some chopped herbs and salt as per taste.
- Close the cooker with the lid and cook it for 1-2 whistle.
- Don’t open the lid immediately , serve it after 15 minutes.
- If you are using frozen peas don’t add that while adding other veggies. Saute it for 2 min in little bit of oil and add that when you open the lid.