We all know winter is incomplete in India without cooking cauliflower in our kitchens. we all love cauliflower right!! Gobi aloo is one such dish which is mostly prepared in Indian kitchens. i bet every household has different ways of making it. But do you know cauliflower a vegetable came from cabbage family is just 150 years old to Indians. Yes it is not originated from India. It is actually originated from Cyprus and Mediterranean region. and it came to India with the Britishers only. But look how we have adopted the vegetable in our cuisine ! That’s the beauty of India i guess. There are numerous ways of cooking cauliflower.Like one can make rice dishes , soups, fries , barbecue dishes and many more. But today i am going to share an Odia style curry dish known as ‘Gobi aloo tarkari’. I hope the recipe is going to helpful to you. So if you try , do let me know.
Gobi Aloo TarkariCourse: MainCuisine: odia
750 gm cauliflowers
3 tbsp of ginger garlic chili paste
1 tomato chopped or pureed
1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp of red chili powder
1 tsp of coriander powder
1/2 tsp of garam masala
3-4 tbsp of mustard oil
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
salt as per taste
1.5 glass of water
chopped coriander leaves
- First clean the cauliflower florets and potato carefully. And cut the veggies.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai. Add the veggies and cover it.
- Open the lid after 2 min then give it a stir , add little bit of salt and again cover it for 3 minutes.
- Repeat this process in every 2-3 minutes for around 10 minutes or until the potato and cauliflower turned golden brown .
- Then take out the veggies from kadai and keep it aside.
- Heat rest oil in the kadai , add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook it for a minute then add tomato puree and salt. Remember we have already added little bit salt earlier, so add it carefully. cover it for a minute. Then add all other spices mentioned above.
- Give it a nice stir , add half cup of water and let it cook for 5 minutes. When oil started coming out of the gravy add the shallow fried cauliflower and potato. Mix it well. and again cover it for 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lid add 1 glass of water and let it simmer.
- Cook it on medium flame for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies become soft enough to eat.
- Lastly put some freshly chopped coriander on the curry and it’s done. Serve it hot with rice or chapati.
- You can add fresh peas or fried fish also.