Being born and raised in a place which is close to rivers , there was a natural inclination towards fish from the very beginning of my life. There are numerous ways of cooking fish but i have always been a fan of simple and countryside way of cooking , where people prefer to cook with basic and minimal ingredients. Today i am going to share one of my favourite way of fish preparation. Macha besara is really a simple dish, where fish is being cooked with mustard paste. Also due to the use of tomatoes , there is a tanginess , which really goes nice with mustard gravy. Many people use ambula or sun dried mango in this dish also, but ripe tomatoes can also be a substitute. and here i will be sharing macha besara recipe using tomatoes.
I would suggest you to use small size fish. Here i have used pohala fish, a local fish you can find all over odisha but particularly in Bhubneswar. you can use Indian mackerel, Indian oil sardine or grey mullet too.
Besara Macha|How to make fish curry with mustard paste|Course: MainCuisine: odia
6 pc of pohala fish or small fish
3 tbsp of besara or mustard paste
1 cup of mustard oil
2 tsp of turmeric powder
1 cup tomato puree
2 green chilies
1 and 1/2 cup of water
salt as per taste
- Mustard paste
3 tbsp of mustard seeds
5 -6 garlic cloves
2 red dried chili
1/2 cup water
- First clean the fish and marinate it with 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 2 tsp of mustard oil. add salt at the time of frying.
- Heat 1 cup of mustard oil in a kadai and deep fry it for 3-4 minutes.
- When the fish started looking golden colour from both the sides take it out from the kadai carefully.
- Take the extra oil from the kadai , 2-3 tbsp of oil is enough for the curry.
- Now add tomato puree , salt and cook it for 3 minute by covering it with the lid.
- Then add mustard paste and stir it for a minute then quickly add 1 tsp of turmeric powder .
- Give it a quick stir and add water. Let it simmer for 5 minutes then add fried fish.
- Add 2 slitted green chilies and cook it for 5-10 minutes in low medium flame. And it’s done.
- Serve it with hot rice.